Education is a mandatory asset in everyone’s life. So one is required to attain good level of knowledge by studying.
But in education system, the study skills and techniques are vital to excel better.
Scoring good grades is needed for scholarships, higher studies in reputed institutes.
But not all of us have inherent qualities to excel well in studies. This capacity to excel requires better abilities of memory, understanding the subject and maturity of mind to grasp the subject.
Study in general has to be faster, complete, well understood and also ready for applicability in future jobs.
If study is not learn t in this way, it will be less effective and also sometimes useless.
Best study tips for students:
1. Know what you are about to learn. As a first and foremost requirement, Know what you are going to learn from that subject and how it can be helpful to you. This creates the interest in the subject. Many have dislike or aversion for studies or for one subject in particular. This is due to lack in interest or curiosity for the subject or studies. And once he or she fails, there will be fear built up about the subject and hence his mind will further reject to study that subject or studies as a whole. Ex: Science means some material related topic. Social about history, politics etc, Maths means some calculation for different purposes in day-to-day life.
2. Have overall view of topics: Try to have an idea of what the topic or concept is about at first instance in the subject. You have an internal beforehand idea of what it is. This gives clarity and helps set mood for further grasping of the topic. Ex: If it is science subject and the lesson is of heat, you recall your experiences with heat like its ability to spread through metals, expand things etc.
3. Know length of the chapter: Go through the headings and subtitles in the subject or chapter at first. This gives you an idea of how much is the length of topic and what all you need to cover. Moreover it reduces your time of study as your mind is alert of how much topic you need t study to complete it.
4. Attend classes like in school or college as listening to teacher gives a better idea and also makes the grasping of subject easy. The amount of topic covered in one hour time by a teacher will be equivalent to minimum 3 hours of time taken by the student to cover it on his own. Stay attentive in class for better grasping of subject.
5. Refer to more than one books for subjects like science, maths etc. as different authors present in a different way a topic in their books. So some chapters seem easy in one book while others seem so in other book.
6. Revise: Revision is the key for any studies. If you do not revise, then you tend to forget the details of what you covered. So it is good idea to plan a schedule for revision besides just studies.
Habituate to write some important point, doubts or thoughts or assignments or target or goals in a workbook. This helps you keep in touch with them and you will not miss them to study.
Studying skills and techniques:
For everyone some studying techniques are required. like in respect of memory, creative thoughts, concentration, writing speed, problem solving speed, studying speed, better hand writing, ability to argue about the topic (for group discussion) etc.
a) Try to talk about the topic to friends so that the understanding and focus on the subject increases.
b) Try to imagine or build some clues for dates (in history subject) or images in physics, chemistry so as to build memory of the topic.
c) For maths (check ofpad) try to memorize the important formulas and see other available options to solve the same problem. This enhances you command on the problems to solve them easily.
d) Revise and revise. This is very important. Coverage of lot of chapters and still not revising them is useless for sake of exams. So if you need to write in exams what you learn, it is important to revise them as frequently as possible.