Most of the products in the market like drugs, nutrition, pesticides, etc are tested for their quality, toxicity, effectiveness using some living forms like plants, animals, insects and also humans.
The use of living organisms inflicts pain and suffering during experimentation hence, certain ethics and laws have to be followed by the experimenter as per rules of the country.
Every country has rules for animal and human safety. Based on it rules are designed in regards to treating the organism or human volunteer during, before and also after experimentation.
Animal experimentation: The rules of ethical bodies in every country aim to minimize the pain, suffering and also the extent of experimentation on animals.
The common rules or ethics in animal experimentation are
- Where ever possible try to avoid animal experimentation.
- If it is mandatory to use the animals, try to use them without inflicting severe pain during and also after experimentation.
- Try to treat animals properly so as to live healthily after experimentation.
- Use small animals in the place of big animals. This has many advantages like the requirement of low space for animals upkeep,. Low fodder costs and also low dose requirement of substance in the experimentation. This is especially advantageous when the experimental sample is very expensive and/ or available in low quantity.
- Use of anesthetics and pain-killer to minimize pain during and after experimentation if the application doesn’t interfere with experimental results.
- If the experimentation is such that the animal can’t live a normal life, it has to be sacrificed without pain.
- Just for sake of demonstration one should not use animals but use some demo material like pictures, videos, etc.