Who Invented Television | Its Advantages & Disadvantages to Man
Television is a wonderful invention of the past century. There were many contributors to its invention. But to the question who invented television, you can say it was J.L Baird (in full John Logie Baird). He did a lot of advancements in the outcome of the TV with movable images which were not existent till his invention.
Television once considered a luxury is a mandatory requirement in today’s human life.
It will be difficult to find a decent home without a television.
The scientific technology involved in its operation and features have greatly improved.
Advantages of Television
1. Entertainment: It is a good pass time in the present society of busy and lonely lifestyle. And also in times of waiting like in airports, railway stations before journeys and also during the trips.
2. Source of employment: It is a good source of employment for many actors, technicians working for TV programs. There are industries which are involved in their manufacture and also those involved in the creation of televisions series and other programmes. This way many people get employed.
3. Informative: If used rightly within limits, it is an excellent source of knowledge and fun. People can watch news, scientific, historical, debates and other informative telecasts.
4. As an advertisement media, it is a good source of product promotion for today’s market. Also, this provides monetary benefits to advertising agencies. This enhances sales of products and builds brand awareness.
5.Security: A check on the chances of robbery in shopping malls, banks, etc. due to video recording and live television display of happenings in the premises. This creates fear in the mind of potential thieves and prevents them from doing theft.
6. Live telecasts: Provides an option for live telecast of matches, viewing of games like Olympics, soccer, cricket, etc. This helps people view the matches from the comfort of home without the need to travel to the place of matches.
7. During Natural calamities: It is good communication for the government to alert people regarding the forecast of natural disasters. This helps people decide their day to day work based on climatic conditions.
Disadvantages of Television
1. Wastage of time: It is a great time killer for those who are addicted to it. This is especially seen in school going children, unemployed, homemakers, old age, and retired people.
2. Physical inactivity: Since it keeps a person immobile for a long time, it reduces physical activity and may be the reason for diseases. In a recent scientific study, it was shown that those who view television are more prone to diabetes. When one sits for two minutes, all the muscles in his legs will lack any sort of movement. So this leads to improper utilization of glucose from blood.
3. The power consumption. A Tv run by power and there could be significant increase in power consumption. This leads to heavy thermal and dust pollution. This pollution is due to the requirement of a high amount of power generation by power plants to meet the demand.
4. Increase in plastic pollution. Most television sets are nowadays made of plastic, and their disposal adds to environmental pollution due to heavy plastic used in them. Also, many heavy metals like lead are used in their manufacture. So it is important not to dispose of them carelessly. Instead, one should hand over to the company concerned about safe disposal.
5. Effect of radiation on the eye. Television sets emit a good amount of visual radiation. This damages the eye, especially in children due to intense strain by watching.