7 Scholarships for International Students in Canada
Canada is one of the prominent countries attracting students from all over the world.
It is economically stable and bit less expensive than other countries.
Further it is a peaceful country with suitable climate for all.
Even the level of strictness in rules for VISA and citizenship are quite easier.
So most students from developing countries prefer Canada besides United states.
Also the chances of part time jobs and internships programs help students fund their education costs.
Scholarships for international students in Canada are;
1. For graduates. For those who have a graduation degree and also planning for higher studies in Canada the following scholarships are available.
a) IDRC Research Awards: These are scholarships for Canadian students and also students from developing countries. The students have to be enrolled for masters or doctoral program in a recognized university. But the focus of research should be towards developing countries. Check for more details here.credit:Vlado
b) Industrial Postgraduate Scholarships Program: These are scholarships for taking up industrial oriented research while pursuing their advanced degrees. It is offered by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). The amount is $15,000 from the NSERC and $6000 from the industry.
2.For doctoral students.
These are meant for students with a PhD degree. They are suitable for those who are interested in research after PhD and not having any current working position. Even those who are already into some job or position also can apply but some of the programs do not allow those with job or a academic position.
Some of the post doctoral research fellowships in Canada are
1. Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships: A scholarships for health, natural science and humanities research. Most positions require a PhD degree as eligibility while for health research even a professional medical degree is eligible.
Amount is $70,000 per year and is taxable.
2. IDRC Doctoral Research Awards: A scholarships for those pursuing PhD program. The candidate can be Canada citizen or those from developing countries. Further, his area of research should be regarding a developing country. Check here for more.
3. Mitacs Elevate: Any one about to complete his PhD can apply for this fellowship. It is a two year program to enhance R&D management training. Unlike other fellowships, its is meant for students, post-docs, professors and even businessmen.
For more details go here. http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/careers/programs/research_associate.html
4. Research Associate Program: This is awarded for those who hold a PhD degree in natural science or engineering. Amount is $52,940 per annual + $8000 allowance.
5. The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program: This is given for those having doctoral degree. Amount is $50,000 per year for a duration of 3 years.
Unlike U.K scholarships or like those of U.S the number of scholarships will be low in Canada. Even the amount of pay can be low. So one has to decide based on his requirements and chances available.
Go through the link for regular scholarships from Canadian universities.
6. Duke and Dutchess of Cambridge Scholarship: This is a scholarship of worth CAN$2500 for 25 students. It is awarded to students who were under government care and perceiving secondary studies.
Eligibility: Must be an undergraduate, a resident of Alberta. Must be attending 4 years course on full time basis.
The last date is 1st aug-2015. More details can be found here.
Further individual institutes or universities also have their own scholarships. Though they may be low, but will definitely help one get to manage themselves there by working on part time.
The list is not exhaustive and also keep changing. New fellowships may arise or even old one terminate. So keep a watch for new ones.