Staying attentive in a class or subject is important to grasp thoroughly the contents of what teacher says.
Though studying the topic on our own at home can help grasp the subject, teachers opinion and idea of the subject are vital.
This is because, due to their seniority by age and experience, the topic is covered in an updated and matured manner such that it is easily digested by the student.
Even the length of the topic which teacher covers in one hour time is mostly vast and it takes about 3-4 hours for the student to cover the same on his own. So class room learning is given prime importance for academic success of students.
How to stay focused in class
Before going into the tips of how to stay attentive in the class, let us consider some situations which influence attention in class among students.
a) Early hours of the day are more interesting for one to sit and listen to the class. Probably 1st. 2nd period are better..
b) Most students can stay attentive to first 5 to 10 min of the any class and latter based on the interesting nature of the class, the attention may deteriorate and may go into day dreams or remind previous movies.
b) Having breakfast, bath, exercise and clean clothing gives the feeling of refreshed and helps one stay focused in class.
c) Health aspect also plays an important role in class room attention.
d) Free mind without mental conflict like quarrels, gossips & troubles from colleagues or the classroom environment or any issues at home can also distract the attention in a class.
Important tips to tips to stay attentive.
1) Try to find seat in the front row. This is very vital and hence you see competitive guys trying to occupy front seats. Those sitting in back benches have an option to be less attentive due to many reasons like lack of teacher concentration on them or decrease in audibility of teachers voice and lecture. Even back benchers have to put more effort than those sitting in front seats to hear the lecture. So they may get tired and bored to the class. So it is always advisable to stay seated in the front rows of the class for better attention.
2) Try to look into the eyes of your teacher. This is second best criteria. Many teachers try to focus on the students who look into their eyes during the lecture. So this makes the lecture seem more interactive between the student and tutor and hence, student can have better attention.
3) Habituate to write down important point: if you are curious of having a class notes, it is better to jot down some points if the lecture in a book during the class. This enhances your attention. But sometimes you may miss some points as you need time to write. But overall, this habit helps you stay attentive in class.
4) Don’t lean back, try to sit upright. Leaning back and not sitting upright makes you sleepy or dazed and you may have less attention in class. Further teachers don’t like students sitting so, so they may have less focus on them.
5) Try to involve yourself by conversing: Asking doubts you don’t know or understand is necessary. Just don’t hesitate to do so. This way of involving yourself by conversing with teacher (interactive learning) helps you be attentive. But don’t try to irritate your colleagues by your silly doubts and chat.
6) Think how important is that class for you: If you feel that the particular class is vital for your career, exam and up-growth, then attention increases.
How to stay attentive for individual subjects.
Some students have a habit that, they are very attentive for one subject or class while non-attentive for other subjects. This is because of the interest factor. For a subject which we lack interest, we are less attentive. So lets see subject wise tips now.
English or any other languages: These languages are taught especially to impart the art of writing, poetry, literature, grammar, sentence usage etc. and also knowledge of society around. These are definitely boring makes an average student sleep or daze in the class. Further the subjects consists mostly some stories written by well know authors, poems, grammar and other language related topic. So they seem like real life dramas to the student. He may enjoy them or feel bored based on his inclination for the taste of the writer.
But to stay attentive in these languages is easy as the topics are general and doesn’t require to think or use one’s brain with great effort.
- Just try to use the text book from where the story/ poem is being taught and try to underline any new words or sentence farmings.
- If it is grammar, try to compare the given methods or twists with the way you use the language to speak. It will help you not only learn the grammar but also enhance your speaking and vocabulary skills in that language.
Mathematics: This subject requires some good attention and effort of mind, because if you don’t listen and understand you cannot solve the problems. So try to follow teacher from the first instance. Try to have an idea of what formulas and concepts are going to be used and taught in the class. Maths definitely requires before hand preparation even to listen to a teacher. Write down the solution written by teacher on the board into you work book for latter reference.
Science: In science different subjects need different levels of attention.
In physics one need to understand the derivation, concepts without which one cannot feel the essence of the subject.
♣ For more read How to learn physics.
Similarly in chemistry basic like atomic number, elements etc are to be understood before hand as one cannot follow the meaning of reaction when teacher describes them on the chalkboard.
In biology one need to understand the subject with some physical reference so diagrams of plants, animal organs will help you maintain attention in the class if you draw them when your teacher describes them…
So in science you need to see the things in class with practical world outside. This definitely enhances you interest and curiosity in the subject.
all the best……..