Science is the knowledge that has enabled the development of the human lifestyle.
It describes the principles & laws of nature in an experimentally proven way.
Science has helped us understand nature and explore it for human benefit. It helped man develop medicines, exploration of mines, communication, enhanced food yield, etc.
But this science also has many limitations, which are hard to overcome by scientists.
Limitations of Science
1) Science cannot look beyond experimental proof.
- Science relies on perception through the 5 sense organs. It requires perceivable proof through vision (physical change), odor, taste, touch, or noise.
- But, there are many things science can’t explain, like death, emotional reactions like love, anger, jealousy, fear, etc.
2) Data limitations
- Many scientific studies rely on statistics. These statistics rely on factors like probability, frequency, distribution, etc.
- Though the results are reliable for large-scale usage, still, they are not applicable to the whole 100 % population.
- A drug can pass clinical trials due to a lack of side effects or having efficiency in the treatment of a disease.
- But interestingly, there will be side effects and a lack of efficiency in a certain number of people at any given point in time.
So, the scientific data have limitations that can’t be overcome.
3) Inadequate experimental methods or models
- Experimental models in science help to study and discover different aspects.
- However, some experimental models are not a correct replica of the actual problem, which leads to vague study results.
4) No moral consideration
- Science helps in the discovery of new products and concepts without moral considerations.
- There are so many nuclear weapons in the world that can destroy the earth by 2000 times.
- But scientists do not know how to neutralize or dismantle them safely.
- Also, plastic development by polymer science is the cause of the huge amount of plastic accumulation. This leads to environmental pollution.
5) It has associated problems
- Many discoveries of science have some troublesome issues.
- Example radiation effects of cell phones can lead to the disappearance of honey bees, sparrows, etc.
- Side effects due to medicine usage in treatment for a certain disorder. These associated problems are equally harmful to the benefits they provide.
6) Follows a shortcut approach to problems
- In health care, the body is treated as different systems like nephrology, neurology, etc.
- But the same science discovered that a single male and female gamete forms a single-celled zygote.
- This zygote is a single cell that multiplies to form the embryo and then forms the entire body with billions of cells.
- So, all the cells have the same origin and exist in mutual harmony despite differences in their functions and locations in the body.
- But, when a person has diabetes, science refers to it as a sickness of only pancreatic cells.
- In reality, all the cells and organs might have got deranged to a certain extent.
So the aim should be to correct the whole problem and not just mitigate the malady of pancreatic cells alone.
7) Some theories of science fail.
Some of the principles of science that are accepted by the whole scientific world seem to not functioning at certain levels.
♦ For example, Newton’s law of gravity holds good only to a certain extent in the universe.
It is found that the law of gravity is not obeyed at certain higher levels of astrophysics in between large celestial bodies.
♦ Science believes in evolution theory, which means the first single-celled microbes were born, and then progressively higher animals came into existence.
But how come the malarial parasite, a single-celled organism that lives only in a mosquito, monkey, and man, emerges after initial protozoal evolution?
If it had emerged well before, along with other microbes, then how did it survive without mosquitoes, monkeys, and man on the earth. 🙂
8) It explains things infinite way while universal principles seem to be infinite
- Science works to imply a principle for everything, saying it is finite and there is nothing more than this.
- But still, the universe is full of new surprises daily for science to explain.
At the end of the day, science still lags way behind in understanding universal creation and principles.