Organs on the left side of the body are those that are located towards the left of the vertebral column.
The human body can be vertically divided into two equal halves along the vertical axis.
So, based on their distribution, some organs can be found on the left and some on the right side of the column.
Vital Organs on Left Side of the Body
- Kidney (left)
- Lung (left)
- Ovary (left in the woman)
- Testis (left one in the adult male)
- Eye (left)
- Ear (left)
- Adrenal gland
- Salivary glands
- This appears to be at the center of the body in the thoracic cavity between the lungs.
- But most of it is localized to the left of the body’s axis.
- It is situated in between the lung, inside the rib cage which ensures its protection.
- The stomach is the prominent organ of the digestive system.
- The gut up to the esophagus travels through the center of the body.
- But at the point of the stomach, this gut moves to the left side of the axis as seen in the picture above.
Thus, the stomach is positioned to the body’s left in the abdominal cavity.
- This is the organ present near the stomach bottom as seen in the image below.
- It is both an endocrine and exocrine gland.
Its exocrine function helps in digestion by the release of digestive enzymes.
By its endocrine function, it controls blood glucose levels.
- This is a dark purple organ located on the left side near the stomach in the abdominal cavity.
- It performs functions like the formation and destruction of blood cells, storage of blood and also the immune.
- Old red blood cells are mostly destroyed here after 120 days of their lifespan.
One of the organ pairs located on the left side.
- As you might have known, there is a pair of kidneys in our body.
- One is located on the left side of the vertebral column in the hip region.
The other is on the right side and is connected to the urinary bladder through the left ureter.
- There are a pair of balloon-like structures with air in them.
- One is located on the left side and is part of the respiratory system.
It helps in the exchange of gasses in the body from the air.
- A pair of ovaries are located on each side of the body in the woman.
- They help in the production of ova, the female gamete.
- On the left side of the body, one of the testes is present in the scrotum.
- It helps in the formation of sperms, the male gametes.
- One of the two eyes is on the left side of the forehead.
- So we call it as left eye and it helps in vision on the left.
- One of the ears is on the left side of the head, helping in hearing and body balance.
- There are a pair of adrenal glands, each located on a kidney.
- One of them is found on top of the left kidney.
- This gland releases adrenaline, a neurotransmitter, and also corticosteroid hormones.
The corticosteroids include glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids.
- In the mouth region, there are three pairs of salivary glands.
- Each jaw, cheek, and chin have one of the pairs.
- The three salivary glands are the parotid, sublingual, and submandibular glands.
- So one of the parotic glands, sub-mandibular, is located on the left side of the body. Please check the image below.
The left parotid gland is towards the left ear, while the left sub-mandibular gland is towards the left mandible jaw curve.
These salivary glands secrete saliva, a watery secretion.
This keeps the mouth moist and clean. Saliva has an enzyme amylase.
This amylase digests the carbohydrates in the mouth to a small extent.
Few organs are present along the vertical axis of the body.
These include the uterus, intestine, trachea, esophagus, urinary bladder.
Further, parts of a few organs are on the left side as the descending colon of the large intestine, portions of the small intestine, lymphatic vessels, and lymph nodes.
Organs on the left side of the body under ribs
The organs under the ribs are the stomach, pancreas, spleen, left kidney, ovary, and testes.
Organs near the waist
Kidneys, ovaries, testes, adrenal gland, spleen