Using blackboard (chalkboard) is a must for teaching in schools and colleges.
Though the technology has gone up with high visual interactive boards taking the place of chalkboards, the teaching with a chalkboard is still irreplaceable.
The chalkboard has many advantages both for the teacher and also the students. Using the board makes the subject more narrative, easy to teach for the tutor and also lets the student understand better.
Advantages of chalkboard for teachers:
- Ease of presentation: A teacher can quickly deliver the subject by writing on the chalkboard. Students do not like oral presentation without some writing done.
- In math’s use of a blackboard with chalk to write problems is the only way of teaching to the students.
- For languages where students find it difficult for some spellings, the teacher can scribble it on the board to copy.
- In science, for biology subject’s teacher can draw diagrams as this helps even students draw them in their books and thereby get practice for writing in exams.
- In physics, derivation can be easily derived in a manner understandable to students by the use of a chalkboard.
- In chemistry stoichiometry of equation, formulas, chemical reactions can well be taught by the use of the board.
- Gain attention and interest of students in the subject: Students and audiences do not like long speech lectures. They may remain interested for the first 10 min. or so, and their minds stay away from class. This can be avoided by using chalkboard writing as both combinations of hearing and writing will keep their attention and interest in class intact for a longer time.
- Writing on blackboards helps students take note of class. This class note helps them to study the topic easily at home or during exams.
The advantage for the students or audiences:
1. Ease of understanding: It is easier for the pupil to understand the topic on the blackboard as they see the method or procedure for some processes or theory.
2. Increased memory for a particular topic or diagram: For students seeing a topic on board is more memorable than just hearing it. It is true that memory of sight is better than memory gained by hearing or speech. It is true that we remember people better by faces and not by their names.
3. Ease of making notes: Many students will like to have a running note of classroom teaching. This is because of the ease of learning a student gets when he reopens the pages written during classroom teaching. Writing on a blackboard gives ample time for the students to make his/ her notes.
4. Stay attentive in class: Students listening to teaching mixed with oral and written presentations stay more attentive than mere speech mode of demonstration.
5. Better vision: To the students sitting at the back (benches/chairs), writing on board helps them to see better if the teacher’s voice is not audible in some words or sentences.
Advantages of using chalkboard over expensive interactive boards:
a. An inexpensive teaching aid. The board and chalk used to write are cheaper than interactive boards or whiteboards.
b. Easily adaptable to everyone. Chalkboard look has an aversion and so is acceptable for everyone to see it.
c. Can be used in open air or room teachings. This is because of ease of carriage to the place, lack of requirement of electricity to power them unlike interactive boards, and also they are not light-reflective so can be seen.
1. Chalk broad is time-consuming in topic coverage than interactive boards.
2. Less attractive and appealing than interactive boards.
3. The visual or virtual video presentation is not possible which is more evident in understanding a structure like a biology etc.
So the uses of chalkboard or interactive board are quite essential for teachers or tutors for better teaching.