The basic concept of education is to understand the world around you.
This understanding brings in the maturity of the mind and makes you a learned person.
The understanding is needed in science, maths, languages, social studies etc.
Education without understanding is a waste of time. And getting qualified in exams and obtaining a degree without understanding the subjects is useless.
In one sense the word educated means well understood and got some maturity due to it.
So one should try to understand whatever they study. Then the quest of quality education gets fulfilled.
But interestingly not all of us can understand everything so easily. Some subjects are understood easier while some are felt tough. It depends on individual’s curiosity and maturity in the subject and society around.
Absolute tips on How to understand and study.
1. Listen to the teacher or colleague: To understand a subject better, one has to attend classes or teaching. The teacher is one who has knowledge about the subject so he can explain things in manner easier for you to understand. So to understand a subject one has to attend the classes without fail. If not listen from a colleague who has attended the class. Also while listening to the class, take a notes of the teaching. This can help refer back and understand in an easy manner.
2. Use diagrams or picture: This is one of the most important methods of how to study and understand. Subject’s like science, mathematics have diagrams. Seeing the diagram not only enhances the memory but also makes it easy to understand the topic. Viewing a diagram helps in knowing the pathway or the process. Hence most science teachers, books and paper rely on diagrams to explain the concept in precise and also understandable manner. There are topics which cannot be explained without use of diagram. Such is the reliance on diagrams to explain the subject.
3. Discuss: When you find a concept to be tough to understand, the other way is to discuss with your friends or parents (if they are aware). Each of them have their opinion which might be quite different than yours. But this helps you understand it better and with ease. Every way of understanding the topic helps you get the concept understood thoroughly. Even one can notice that when we discus some topics with others, there are many times we find something new and interesting within it. Even discussion brings in interest to the subject and also enhances the memory of the topic.
4. Cross question: This is definitely needed for complex topics. Here cross questioning your teacher or during discussion with friends helps you get most out of the topic. One has to pose question a bit weirdly like why it should be in such way or why not this way etc. This leads to more open mindedness to the topic and helps observe the topic more in a clear way than before. This definitely helps you to understand the topic better.
5. Visualize: Many topics like social, civics do not have suitable images. For example demand, supply changes etc. Then visualizing it is the only option. Visualizing is a way we make some brief picture about what we read. Remember when you read a novel or a story your brain forms some image of the people, places in the story. Similarly when you read a science or maths topics, you can try to make some visualization in your mind. This helps the topic to be understood better for longer memory.
6. Imagine: Some doubts can be answered by just imagining the things. For this the best example is Einstein’s theory of relativity which talks about happenings in the space can be well understood by just imagining the concept and story instead of drawing images or pictures. When two objects are moving in space, one’s velocity is in reference to other is calculated.
7. Practice by writing: Another way to understand is to write on a piece of paper or board. Writing helps one understand better. Hence in mathematics, one is advised to practice by hand than just going through books. Even in science, once you start drawing any picture or image of anatomy etc. you can notice that your understanding of why and where the pathway leads and how, is easier and more deeper than just listening or seeing it. Further practice helps one memorize the topic.
These are the ways of how to study and understand. If you know any other ways kindly share below.