Email writing skills are essential as we all use email for most of our communications.
The email is also considered as a standard document for communication in official and professional activities.
Unlike mobile messages where we just pass personal information, emails are viewed with more attention and regarded as a form of effective communication.
The time of communication by email dramatically decreases compared to the courier, post, etc. School and college students, employees, executives, politicians, people in business etc. find professional email as the most convenient form of communication.
Where does email find official and indispensable use?
For students and employees.
- To apply for leave from.
- To send an application for a job.
- To resign from a job you were into
- Mass communication for a cause like a wedding invitation, social awareness, passing any official notice or news.
- Passing and sharing study material as PDF, word files, Url links, video, power-point PPT, etc.
For corporate, busyness people, politicians, etc.:
- To request for inquiry or quote for the price of a product.
- To ask for a postponement of appointment or grant of leave.
- Purchase something or inquire about purchase required in the office or workplace.
- To communicate important meetings or events to juniors, senior employers, etc.
Why consider good email writing skills?
Email is a valid proof document; it can be printed out, saved for future reference. So, one should be careful with what he writes.
Also, people read something by the heart. So, it can stoke their emotions. Further, since it is not a verbal communication, chances of misinterpretation of information are possible.
So if you make any jokes or comedy, it can be misinterpreted by the reader. This is because voice communication is different than written one as it lacks body language.
Physically one is absent to give the information with practical communication skills like speaking and other facial expressions.
So, one needs to show his character or impress the reader by writing in words to show off courtesy, confidence, and professionalism.
Essentials of email writing skills:
Except in email newsletter, any personal email, professional email should be simple and to the point.
Use company letter pad image if possible or a signature in your mail if you send a company related mail.
Pay respect and regards to your elders or supervisors. Show affection to your family members or friends. This is essential as email is present for a long time with the receiver. This minimize the chances of offending others.
How to write an email:
Email subject; The subject is one which is visible at first instance to the reader or mail viewer. This will actually decide if the receiver has to open your mail or not.
Higher officials, business people, politicians receive hundreds of emails everyday. So, they will not have time to open all of them and read. They may even have assistants who read out important emails to them .
So if the subject is interesting or curious, then the viewer will open the mail or else he may just delete it. Hence, the subject of the email becomes critical. So, always keep it eye catchy to tap interest and be related to their profession.
Email subject line best practices:
♦ Be direct to the point if it is professional email. Like an application for job or resignation or business matter etc. Keep it short and precise as it helps the receiver decide the importance of mail.
♦ If it is a friendly mail meant for any wishes like birthday or festival or celebration, give the wishes directly. Because most people will be eager to open such emails as they communicate affection and hence will receive your wishes. Even you will notice these emails get replies faster.
♦ But if it is an nonprofessional one like criticizing or pointing someone’s mistake or their mistake, the subject should be off a bit serious. So include the matter in the email body but not in the subject.
♠ Always start with addressing the recipient by a hello, dear or sir/madam, etc. This depends on the position or relationship level of the receiver. If the receiver is a high profiled person like a police officer, judge, director, etc. it is good the show respect as it indicates your attitude towards them or their job.
♠ Try to write an introductory line like
- “How are you, How are you doing, etc.” – only for friends, relatives or acquaintances.
- You can give wishes if it is a new year, birthday, festival or for their achievements, etc.” – for friends & even professionals also this works.
- “with reference to previous mail, glad to have received your mail-As reply to professional mail.
- Hope you remember when we met at so and so place etc.-recent past acquaintances/ colleagues etc.
- “I bring to your kind notice, or we request you to..” For mails with a request for help or service from persons in high position
♠ Come to the point of what you want to say. Write the point or lines clearly.
♠ Ask for help or reply or service you intend to with reasonable remuneration or return from your side etc.
♠ Always give a pleasant end like
- ” nice to have met you or come in contact with.”
- Best time to call or eager to work with.”
- All the best for your future, endeavors, achievements or your exam, etc..
- Awaiting your reply, thanks in anticipation, etc.”- If you are expecting a response.
♠ Courteous bye
- Yours, yours lovingly, your friendly, yours sincerely (for elders), faithfully (for superiors), regards for casual friends and acquaintances.
Email signature: Have your email signature at the end of the mail. This, if used with some design and animation, can be more attractive and appealing. Since emails look similar to one another, if one applies for a job, the recruiter gets many mails and most of them seem identical. So the use of self-portrait signatures is essential because this creates an impact in the mind of the reader.