Memorizing is sometimes essential and only way to succeed in studies or exams.
This especially includes in few subjects like biology, social, languages like English or any subject which has less space for understanding and more for memorizing.
Even in mathematics, physics and chemistry one may require memorizing a few terms, words, the properties, diagrams, formulas etc.
And some really face it very hard to memorize the things of study while for others it may be a really tough job.
But interestingly you might there guys who face difficulty in memorizing study related matter can remember well telephone numbers, name of the actors, lyrics of songs etc. Some guys memorize English well but cannot memorize social well and vice-versa. This is because of some great interest to the subject or other special tips they use in doing so.
Memory is a consolidate form of information in the brains Hippocampus. So memory depends to a lot extent on the healthy brain.
How to memorize subject or topics of study.
1. Develop interest: Curiosity and love for the subject or matters will have long memory than reading something without interest or love for the subject.
2. Determination: If one has no interest but has strong determination to study well then he can memorize the topics and have command over them.
3.Dwelling deep: Some time if one dwells deep into why or how the he can memorize the thing more. For ex: If a term ‘Synergy’ is mentioned, it is SYN+ERGY which means SYN= together and ERGY=energy. If there is a term ‘teleomer’ it is TELEO+MER, which means as Teleo=end and Mer=Piece or part. Not only for words or terms but even for subject, similarly if one dwells deep into anything his memory for it is very good.
In Physics one comes across Potential energy, kinetic energy which means petenz i.e. energy within or self and kinesis means motion or energy in motion.
4. Visual technique: If it is not possible to memorize by any of the above methods due to complexity like formula or chemical reaction then the tip is to go for visual memory. When one wants to recall the memory he has to just close his eyes to see the image in his mind.
The technique is that make a list of all the formulas or chemical structure on a piece of white paper and stick them on a wall in the room. Try to see that paper for formulas and structure daily early in the morning and before going to bed. If one does it for a week, anything can be memorized in the form of an image.
5.The clue technique: This is especially suited for dates of history or names of some historic person. Try to have some clues to memorize the names of people or dates for ex;
If you have to memorize dates of revolution movements then assign dates of the year to each of your classmate or friends. So whenever you see them try to recall them with that date. It is quite funny but effective.
In anatomy one has to study central nervous system function as sympathetic and parasympathetic system with their role in all the individual parts of the body and function. It is quite lengthy to remember. So the clue here is
Sympathetic means= Sympathy to body
Parasympathetic =Para+sympathetic, where para= besides or other than. So now it is easy to describe or remember what sympathetic system does to an organ
|Saliva in mouth||No secretion||Secretion|
|Urine in bladder||Relaxation||Contraction|
So from above functions one can notice that sympathetic is smooth, favorable and pleasant to the body. Taking air by inspiration is better and not producing saliva whole day is better, if not imagine everyone’s mouth watering whole day??
Urine bladder is relaxed most of the day and only constricts with an urge for urination only in sometimes of the day by parasympathetic.
Heart contraction pumps blood while relaxation does not. So contraction is favorable to the body. This way one can write all the function of two types of nervous system with a simple clue that sympathetic means sympathy for the body and vice versa.
So using clues helps memorize the lengthy things in an easy manner.
6. The spelling or sound technique: This involves trying to spell something loud while study or spelling awkwardly to memorize like stressing the word or phrase etc.
7. Revision: This is reading the subject again and again. This is a type of training the brain to memorize the entire subject. The more time you revise the faster the process happens, i.e. if you revise first time it takes a long time to complete, if you revise fourth time you will notice that the time span to complete or read the subject has shortened down drastically.
8. Writing: Writing on paper or slate or note pad is a technique to improve memory. Some used to say one time writing is equal to ten times studying.
9. Using the same books or notes: This is a way to enhance memory. If one is reading from a book and repeats reading again and again from the same book, then his memory for the subject will be high. You can notice this effect easily.