Forest are regions with dense growth of tress and plants.
They have their own natural environment with many types of plants and animals living well.
Previously the whole of land mass was occupied by forests.
But now one can see forests mostly in movies and you-tube videos.
There is widespread deforestation in the name of development and recreation.
More and more forest land is converted into agriculture land by the governments.
Forests have many advantages to the life on earth and also we humans.
The seasonal and climatic fluctuations are also due to deforestation.
Forests mean an ecosystem of plants and animals and even man lived in forests long ago.
He then vacated the tress in it to make villages and towns.
Now the present scenario is there are more towns and cities than forests.
Why are Forests Important
1.They Bring Rainfall: Forests are responsible for rains on the land. Due to forests, the clouds get cooled and convert to rainwater. So one can notice heavy rainfall in the areas of forests and around. Forests slower the monsoon currents (winds) and let the clouds move slower over land.
2.Prevent Soil erosion: Soil erosion is an everyday natural activity happening due to winds and floods. Growing forests help minimize this soil erosion in the nearby farms. The importance of soil is too much that we cannot afford to lose the fertile top layers. This top layer of soil is essential to grow crops and trees.
Soil erosion can happen by rain storms in short duration in noticeable way. But it also occurs by the mild wind storms over long duration with greater effects. Presence of forests can slow down the winds and minimize this effect.
3. Reduce the effect of natural calamities: In case of the natural disasters like the tsunami, floods, hurricanes, cyclonic winds. Presence of abundant forests helps us minimize the effects of these disasters. Hence when there are tsunamis, the areas with more trees at the shore have less damage. Further, healthy forests are necessary to combat global warming
4. Home for animals (Ecosystem):
Forests are some of the safest and comfortable home providing habitats for animals and birds. Many animals, birds can dwell peacefully without the threat of extinction in forests as it is a natural home for them.
They even find sufficient food for the day and live together with their herds or groups. Forests are heaven for animals nowadays as they do not find them.
5. Minimize the pollution: Presence of forests nearby can reduces air, sound and even thermal pollution. Forest have many plants and trees which minimize the pollution. The wind on the earth moves from one place to another and reduces the concentration of harmful gases. Similarly, the gas and air pollution diffuses to all over the air and get less severe. Presence of forest nearby helps absorb these pollutants like carbon dioxide from the air by the trees. Hence, forests have environmental benefits too.
6. Economic importance: Forest have significant economic benefits. Few countries economy depends mostly on forest products. Forests cover wide range of natural resources which are of excellent value for money.
Some of the notable examples of reserves with economic importance are
7. Medicine: Many plant drugs like cinchona, cinnamon, eucalyptus, etc. are grown in the forest .
Though smaller medicinal plants are grown by farming, drugs from large trees are available from forests alone. The medicines procured by this method are mostly, alkaloids, glycosides, tannins, etc. Besides one can also get essential oils.
8. Wood for Furniture: Forests are the sole reserve for best woods needed for wood products. There are many kinds of woods for different purposes like insect repellent ones (neem), red sandal, teak, etc.
Honey: This is a sugary liquid produced by honey bees after consuming nectar from flowers. It is widely used in medicine, ice-creams, sweets and other confectionery. It is mostly obtained by cultivation using honey bees in controlled boxes. But honey from the wild forest has its taste and strength than the farmer made one.
9. Insect Wax: Lac insect produces this. They are found in forests, and the lac isolated is used for cosmetics and also a dye.
10. Tourism/Picnic spots/leisure:
Nowadays many forests are exploited as picnic spots. Though this may be disturbing to the native animals and people, still the governments encourage it for tourism revenue. There are various picnic and holiday packages offered to spend time in the midst of forests.
Thus benefits of forests reach millions of people all over the world.