There are many uses of flowers which grow on the plants. These include
- Provide food
- Source of honey
- Source of medicine
- Help in pollination and crop yield
- Give beauty to nature and surroundings
- Provide Perfumes and scents
- To prepare dyes
- Insect repellents
- Support breeding
Flowers are the most beautiful structures on the surface of plants. They are the organs of sexual reproduction in plants. They form as a bud, grow into flower and then convert into fruit after pollination. These flower have many uses to man, animals and the ecosystem around
Uses flowers to man:
Man has been fascinated with flowers for their fragrance, color, beauty and feel. For man a flower is a symbol of love, holiness and also good omen. The flowers are used as
1. Source of food: All the vegetarian food materials we consume are made by flowers. As we talked about before, a fruit or seed is formed from flower. We consumes them in the form of wheat, rice, maize, grams, nuts etc.
2. Source of honey: Honey is a sweet liquid obtained from honey combs. These honey combs are filled with honey by the worker honey bees. Honey bees visit the flowers, suck up the nectar and reach the comb. The nectar undergoes changes in the bee and is released as honey.
This honey is used for various purposes by man like as food, sweetening agents in medicines and also for different health purposes.
3. Source of medicine: Flowers are also good source of medicine. Anticancer drug like vincristine an alkaloid is produced from flowers and other parts of plant. Besides, medicine like atropine, Hyoscyamus, essential oils like eugenol, menthol are obtained from flowers.
4. Perfumes and scent: Flowers have some or other sort of odor. But most plants have flower with fragrance. These flowers are used to extract the fragrance in the form of essential oil. Examples of such flowers include rose, jasmine, marigold, Hollyhock etc.
5. Decoration: Flowers are widely used by man regular purposes like decoration, worship as flower bokeys for greetings etc.Their attractiveness, fragrance and color give them prominent place in the mans life. No major function would be complete without flowers.
6. Dyes and color:
Flower parts are also source of natural dyes. Unlike synthetic dyes, these are less harmful for regular use. The flower of saffron, safflower, lupinus etc.
7. Insect repellents: Insect repellents have one of the biggest market. We need insect repellents to keep mosquitoes, cockroaches, houseflies away. Synthetic insecticides like organophosphorous poisons have lethal effect on humans and other animals. To minimize this natural insect repellant like pyrithin is used. This pyrithrin is obtained from the plants of Chrysanthemum Cinerariaefolium. This pyrithrin has toxic effect on respiratory system of insects. Thus, when we used, we humans are spared of insects bite.
Uses of flowers to plants.
8. For pollination: The main use of flower is to help in sexual reproduction by transfer of male gametes. Flowers give of pollen grains. These pollen are carried of by wind, animals or even water. Once, they reach another flower, the pollen enters the female organ and forms a zygote. This zygote form and embryo and then converts in fruit. These fruits contain seeds which can grow into new plant when it reaches the soil. So, a flower acts in sexual reproduction and there by helps in plant propagation.
Even in agriculture, flowers help in higher yield due to pollination. Hence, male and female plants are given special importance during cultivation.
Uses to animals and environment:
The uses of flowers also extend to nature. The flowers regulate breeding and support the food cycle.
9. For breeding: Flowers provide food in the form of nectar. So, growth of flowers is good for insects, larva and also birds. Birds lay eggs and hatch them to give birth to young ones. These young ones need food to grow. The mother bird tries to fetch some insects roaming around. These insects keep roaming around in search of food. This food is mostly delicious in the from of nectar from flowers. So, we can notice, that birds lays eggs when there is chance for abundance of insects and larvae. This in turn is dependent on growth of flowers on the plant. On the whole the plants support breeding by producing flowers.
10. Beauty to nature: Presence of flowers add natural beauty to the environment around. Growth of flowers in plenty keep the environment lively. These flowers attract all sort of animals like birds, cattle and even man. Hence, the flowering season are celebrated in most parts of the world.