How to become a registered pharmacist in US / Canada

registered pharmacist in US

A registered pharmacist in the US or Canada makes good money with a stable career.

So many are interested to get into the US or Canada after Pharmacy.

However, the US rules do not allow other countries’ pharma graduates to register as registered pharmacists. 

But they recognize the PharmD course for registration.

Hence PharmD course was adopted into  Pharma education at both Degree and post-graduation levels in many countries.

On the other hand, Canadian rules are different, and they consider both Bachelor’s and PharmD graduates to practice as a registered pharmacist.

So students with a Bachelor’s of Pharma education can become pharmacists only in Canada, while PharmD students can register either in the US or Canada.

But both these graduates have to qualify for a set of exams to practice as registered pharmacists, as mentioned below.

To become a registered pharmacist in the US, one needs to qualify.

  1. FPGE: Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalence Examination.
  2. TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language.
  3. 6 Months internship under a registered practicing pharmacist.
  4. NAPLEX: The North American Pharmacist licensure examination
  5. MPJE: The Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination

So this is the list of exams a student needs to complete for settlement as a registered pharmacist in the US.

And all of these exams have to be taken up by being present in the US.

The entire period required for this process is six months to one year.

A student can enter the U.S by visiting VISA for the purpose, and once he gets an internship offer, he can extend his visiting VISA for six more months.

The student has to bear all the expenses during the time, and for successful completion, one has to study thoroughly in advance for the exams during his graduation or during his stay in the home country.


This exam is conducted by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy.

This is a crucial exam that tests your pharmacy knowledge and entitles you to work as a pharmacist in the US.

You can get all the detail regarding the exam and its structure by visiting the Naplex page.

FPGE is a pharmacy exam SAT by foreign students who wish to be licensed to practice in the United States. 

Find more details visit FPGE page.

MPJE is an examination to test your knowledge regarding the laws of pharma practice in each state where you wish to practice the job.

One can be qualified FPGEC to take this test.

For more details, check out the MPJE page.

TOFEL, an exam for the English language, is preferred over than GRE for this entrance. This has to be done once one qualifies for the FPGE exam.

TOFEL has to be written in local US exam centers for consideration of the score.

Writing in the home country and getting qualified is an option available, but it is not considered in the US for this post.

So one has to take the TOFEL exam here in the US itself for its consideration.

To become a registered pharmacist in Canada.

One needs to qualify for the exam conducted by PEBC, The Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada.

1. The pharmacist evaluation exam: Part-I & II.

2. Then Pharmacist qualifying exam: PART I (MCQ) and PART II (OSCE)

The exam is conducted twice a year, the first quarter and the second quarter, with a gap of a month or more between eligibility and qualification exams.

Before this, one has to get their educational certificates and other documents evaluated by PEBC. 

On successful completion of the three phases, i.e., document evaluation, clearing evaluation, and qualifying exams, one is to get a certificate of pharmacist qualification from PEBC.

The exam is said to be more stringent than NAPLEX, but still, one do-not required to pass TOFEL, which adds an extra burden to study.

For more details about the exam dates, the fee to be paid, documents required for evaluation, immigration to Canada, etc., visit The Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada site.
Both Bachelors and PharmD students are eligible to appear for the Canada pharmacist exam, while only PharmD students for NAPLEX by the US.

Leave a comment

  1. Sir!!Thanks for the information. I am working as a pharmacist in Dubai UAE.I cleared my DHA assessment .I want to work in Canada .Can I give my PEBC examination in UAE.PLease guide me!

  2. good morning
    I am a qualified pharmacist in south Africa, from south Africa but I would like to relocate to America. please advice

  3. Sir first of all thanks for providing information In a simplified format. But sir I read like Ontario doesn’t allows international undergraduate to get registered. Is it true?
    Is it worth taking admission in online programme for pebc provided by Toronto institute of pharmaceutical science?

  4. Sir now i am doing B pharm how can i become a registered pharmacist in us or canada whate is eligibility sir ? Show me Right way to go

  5. Dear sir, i am just completed b pharm i am interested to work in Canada or Australia which exam is better option for me, kindly give me a reply

  6. I have completed my BSc in biotechnology n planning to apply for pharmacy technician as I want to become a registered pharmacist in canada, also I have given IELTS n scored 7.0 bands…. my question is as I have not done bpharm, am I eligible for PEBC exam ?? if not then do u think I should change my Canadian course?? what are my other option??

  7. Sir i have pharm D degree from pakistan and now going to become a canadian and want to get job in my profession please guid me steps how should i move up and other opt?

  8. Hi this is santoshi. I am working in Hyderabad MNC Company. i have passed out in 2015 and have experience in MNC for 1 year. I have an ambition to work in Canada, So pls can suggest me. What kind of job and how should i apply.

  9. @Jameela Hussain! Yes you can perceive masters in Canada. A better option would be to contact any of the pharmacy schools, institutes or universities for details by contacting them directly. You can get contact details from corresponding school websites.

  10. Sir,I have just given my MHTCET 2016 exam(Rank:30), and I am most likely to get a Government college..
    But i am Confused whether to opt for Pharm.D or B.Pharm..
    Could you Please tell me which is fruitfull more…

  11. sir after i hav completed my pharm d….wat eil b the procedure to appear for naplex exam ….should i write any extra exam there to b eligible for naplex…??

  12. i want to full information about after complettion of pharm d
    what are the jobs opportunites and what are the rules to work in aboard?
    what are the exam present?

  13. @Divyang Baldha! Why do you wish to go? For higher education opt for GRE and apply for any university or institute for admission.

  14. @ sahil! If you think you need M.Pharm, you can do it with future options in mind. But if you want to be registered pharmacist then it is not necessary to waste two years for M.Pharm.

  15. chotu mishra! No not needed. You can apply directly to for M.Pharm (MS pharm) or integrated MS and PhD in pharmacy if have completed b.Pharm.


Leave a Comment