Exam is the anxious part of school and college days. Many experience confusion and are under stress due to exams. The reason being a tendency to score well while there is lack of effective preparation.
But scoring is a test of one’s ability and also a recognition in the school.
So everyone tends to be tensed and have a desire to score well during exam.
Interestingly we can notice that a few set of students always score well while other have to struggle very hard to score.
This is because they have certain qualities which others might lack. Those very qualities help them score better again and again repeatedly.
Many do not perform well during exam and repent latter. This is a disappointment and useless. So here are tips on how to study for exams to score better.
How to study for exams effectively
1. Make plan of study: This is important to prepare for exam in a short time or over long period. Plan for studies includes what to study (syllabus to cover), when to study ( time table) and also how to study (means used)
Below are the means to study while other aspects have to be decided by you based on your requirements. Know the syllabus to cover from your exam brochure, decide proper books from your teacher or seniors. Fix a time schedule based on your speed of study and also knowledge of the subjects under study.
So the plan should be like
♠ Syllabus to cover. Know all the chapters to cover from each subject.
♠ Books to study from. decide what books will help you cover above mentioned syllabus.
♠ Time schedule to complete. Plan a time to read the chapters, revise them and also have sufficient time span as you may have some hindrances in between the period of study.
2. Understand and study: This is a big mistake most of the students make. They think studies is to mug up books and write out in the exams. This is wrong two ways as one you will not enhance your brain by such learning. Secondly you things in a way which might be suitable for the question asked leading to low scores. This problem of lack of understanding is seen in mathematics and science subjects.
One can overcome this to understand the subjects they study and learn them and answer the questions sensibly. Once you understand a subject, it becomes easier for you to understand and answer the exam.
It also build confidence within and help you learn and write better in the exam.
The ones who score well are those who understand and study in most cases.
3. Revise: Revision is the key of preparation for exams. What ever be the level of reading, without proper revision reading vast subject is waste of time. Read little and revise the topics and then read the next topics. If you do not revise, you may forget or get confused and make more mistakes. In the plan of preparation include some time for revision.
Whether you prepare for exam in short time like in week or two, still fix some time for revision. Revision increases confidence and helps correct any confusions and even improve your understanding of syllabus.
4. Practice diagrams: Diagrams are important part of an answer in subjects like science and mathematics. They communicate more information than mere writing. A neatly drawn and labelled diagram gains more marks for an answer than one without any diagrams. Practice diagram to increase you chances of scoring.
5. Practice formulas: Formulas help to solve the problems of physics, chemistry and mathematics faster. If you do not remember the formulas ,you make mistakes and whole answer can go wrong due to it. So practicing formulas helps you remember well and avoid unnecessary mistakes.
6. Practice problems: In mathematics and science subjects like physics and chemistry, there are many problems to solve. Practicing them helps you solve them correctly in the exam. Further practicing helps save time in answering the questions.
7. Refer to previous question paper: Going through previous years question papers for an idea is important. It help you know how the question paper pattern is going to be. Which set of questions need to be answered first and any other relevant issues arise. So it is always a good idea to refer to previous years question paper.
Study notes and refer to text books: Many students have note books taken from class lecture. While there are also some standard text books for reference. It is best to study both note books and text books for the purpose of scoring. It helps you to know how to manage time in exam hall.
8. Make a team: This is quite important but may not be possible to all. Try to have a team of like minded people aiming to score well in the exams. Having a team of learners will help you focus and complete the syllabus. It also helps make combined efforts in learning, gathering books, making pictures, table charts etc. for study. Further group discussions can be taken up for better coverage of syllabus.