Water is an essential requirement in our life.
After air, the importance of water takes the second place as an essential requirement for survival.
Water comprises of an approximate of 70 to 80% of total body mass.
There is no cell or tissue in the body where you don’t find water.
It is very hard to survive even a few days without drinking water.
It is also necessary for the growth of plants and animals which supply our food.
The benefits of water can be discussed as following.
1. Biochemical reactions: All the biochemical reactions require water. Even the enzymes which regulate the biochemical reaction also depend on pH (water component) for proper function. Hence, It is the mediator of all the principal biochemical events in the body including cell survival, birth and death.
2. Body Physiology: Water also helps in all major functions of the body like circulation, excretion, absorption, nerve conduction, respiration, reproduction etc.
3. Circulation: Blood in our body is involved in supply of nutrition and oxygen to each and every cell in the body. This blood comprises of about 80% of water. Water forms the blood, lymph and also cerebro-spinal fluid (fluid in the brain) along with other fluid substances.
4. Absorption: It facilitates absorption of food from intestine by the process of diffusion and sink condition. The absorbed food is carried by blood, lymph and supplied to all organs and tissues.
5. Excretion: It helps in collection of the waste materials from all the cells and tissues of the body. From there it is send to the kidneys, skin and lungs for excretion. By kidney waste is expelled as urine in combination with water. Through skin, it is excreted via sweat.
6. In reproduction: Water helps in formation of media for transport of sperms and ova. The baby in the womb is also surrounded by fluid made of water.
7. Water helps in loss of excess heat from the body in the form of sweat and also by respiration.
8. It keeps the eyes, mouth and other organs moist to perform smoothly. One cannot see clearly without moisture in eyes. Water in eyes helps clean the lens regularly. Without moisture it would be even difficult to chew the food properly and then swallow it. Hence, we need saliva formed from water in the mouth for the purpose.
Importance of water for plants
Plants are the prime source of food, clothing, medicine to humans and animals. Water is of prominent importance to their nutrition, growth and formation of food. The importance of water for plants is as follows.
9 Water helps in movement of nutrients and other substances like hormones through the body. Since plants do not have a circulatory system, the distribution of material occurs by water. This happens by processes like capillary action. imbition etc..
The seed is an inert or dormant form of plant cell with sufficient reserve of food material enclosed in a hard seed coat.
When dropped into soil, seed absorbs water by imbibition process. The food material and other contents swell due to water and the coat ruptures revealing the growth and germination of seedling.
The process of enzyme activity, energy production are initiated due to the presence of water. Growing slowly, the seedling germinates out of the seed into a big plant.
11 Water also helps in loss of heat from plants by the process of transpiration through stomata.
Importance of water on earth:
12 Water is the key substance which cleans the earth surface. It carries away any waste material or loose material from the earth surface into the oceans. Thus water keeps the earths surface clean and fit for living.
13 Water is the safe methods of disposal of industrial waste. Once waste from industry is treated well, it is released into rivers to be carried away into sea.
14 Waters ability to evaporate by heat and condense by cool helps in water cycle. Because of this there is sufficient fresh water to drink and for irrigation on earths surface.
15 Water occupies up-to 70.8% of total land mass. It thus provides life for many marine animals and also plants.
Other amazing facts about water:
♣ Water is absorbed to a large extent from the stomach itself and less from intestine. Hence when water is consumed the thirst is quenched immediately as the body water level rises due to rapid absorption from stomach.
♣ Water has neutral pH of 7.o. This makes it an universal solvent and .
♣ Water helps in breakup of tablets, capsules of drugs and other health supplements we take and help in easy absorption in to the body.
So even syrups and other liquid dosage forms are prescribed for old age patients because of faster and complete absorption of drugs in water made solution.
♣ Water carries carbon-dioxide in the dissolved form from tissues to excrete by lungs. And also to some extent supplies oxygen to remote areas of cell.
♣ Water is also formed in the body directly by the process of combustion of carbohydrates with oxygen.
♣ Most of the body waste materials are water-soluble. Any water insoluble materials are converted to water-soluble form for easy excretion through water.
♣ Water levels in the cell and body compartments are maintained by ions of salts. That’s the reason why increase in salt intake increases water levels in body. There by there is rise in blood volume and associated rise in blood pressure. Also there are chances of edema due to water accumulation for prolonged period in the body.
Thus importance of water is very huge. But due to human activity, it is prone to pollution. This water pollution inturn affects the humans health.