Academic Software | Role of Software in Education
Education Software’s find many uses in education like as teaching aids for a teacher, for better understanding in the form of videos, animations, for making pictures or diagrams, for analysis of data, etc. Even there are many apps developed for use over smartphones related to education and studies.
This academic software makes the process of study easier, faster and effective if used properly. They are also inexpensive and affordable. The expensive ones like design software’s can be bought by the institution offering the course.
Role of software in academics
School administration software: Software’s are widely used in academics to make the process of administration easier. There is software like school administration software, college management software, etc. These help in the maintenance of records and databases of all the activities and curriculum of the school or college.
There is also software for the time table, to maintain student database, their marks, attendance, for accounting, etc. This software is useful for the management and higher officials of the school and college but not for teachers and students.
This software is of the free type like Microsoft word excel or word and sometimes they are purchased.
Software for teachers: Teachers need some software as teaching aids. These include animated videos or virtual labs, pictures, etc. for demonstration of topics in science, geography and also lab experiments.
The teacher software is many like lesson planner, grade keeper, etc. For a detail, list read the article.
This software is sometimes freely available on the net or supplied along with the textbooks purchased or else individually in the market. Many schools and colleges maintain a collection of this software in the form of Dvd’s etc. Further other equipment like an overhead projector, an interactive board are required.
Language learning software: These are software to learn languages like English, French, Spanish, etc. provided by a few websites.
Higher education software: This includes a large set of software useful to students and also teachers. They are of different types based on the need or purpose. They include
1. Picture or image software: As the name indicate these are software to make pictures or image of interest. These include Microsoft paint, Adobe Photoshop, etc. They are needed to make diagrams for the representation of novel ideas in science for presentation in science exhibitions, poster presentations, seminars, etc. This software requires some practice to use for the newbie, but they are easy to learn.
2. Analytic software: These are a set of software meant especially to analyze complex data of research of any type in science, social, management studies, etc. They include mostly statistical software ex; graph pad prism, SPSS, etc.
3. Design software: Design software are those used design molecules of chemistry or in architecture to predetermine the effectiveness and feasibility of the drug molecule or the structure under plan construct.
In medicinal chemistry CAD (computer-aided drug design) software is widely used to analyze the drug molecule to see if it fits properly into a receptor for effective therapeutic action or else if the stereo configuration is right or else the chances of toxic effects etc.
In architecture, though the software is used to estimate the strength, durability of the structure under plan construct.
Thus this software is used in Postgraduate or research levels help minimize wastage of time and cost in making physical molecules or structures by determining their effectiveness virtually in the computer.
4. Presentation software: These are software meant for the presentation of concepts to a large group of an audience using a projector. They are mostly free software like Microsoft power point.
5. Data synchronizing software: These are software which maintains similar data between two sets of computers through a memory device (hard drive) like one in office and one at home. This software helps maintain similarity in data to safeguard even in times of damage to one system. Thus, one’s data is never lost.
6. Language grammar: These are software meant to correct any grammar and spelling mistakes while writing. Though the software is available for different languages, there are more so for English. Grammarly is one of the software in the class. It has both a free version and also paid versions. The free version can correct spelling mistakes while writing and editing. This software can be integrated into Microsoft word and other writing documents.
7. Referencing software: Those who are involved in writing a scientific journal or other essays will need to reference their work. For this reference is done both in the text and also at the end of writing. Every journal has a different style for referencing. So, doing it manually is time-consuming with chances of errors.
To solve this problem, one needs to use referencing software. Some of the prominent software is Endnote, Mendeley, etc.
8. System security: Advanced operating systems are less prone to attacks and theft of data. But for old ones and enhanced safety, it is worth using antivirus software. They help prevent data loss and also spying your online work.
9. Virtual private networks: These are the software which helps to hide your IP while browsing online. One of my favorite of them is ghost VPN. This software can mask your IP and prevent others from tracking you.
Further, those websites which are not accessible in your place can be accessed by VPN software.
Higher education software is very useful for students for better performance to face competition from colleagues.