Education Software’s find many uses in education like as teaching aids for teacher, for better understanding in the form of videos, animations, for making pictures or diagrams, for analysis of data etc. Even there are many apps developed for use over smart phones related to education and studies.
These academic software make the process of study easier, faster and effective if used properly. They are also inexpensive and affordable mostly and those which are very expensive like design software’s can be bought by institution offering the course.
Role of software in academics
School administration software: Software’s are widely used in academics to make the process of administration easier. There are software like school administration software, college management software etc. These help in maintenance of records and data bases of all the activities and curriculum of the school or college.
There are also software for time table, to maintain student data base, their marks, attendance, for accounting etc. These software are useful for the management and higher officials of the school and college but not for teachers and students.
These software are of free type like Microsoft word excel or word and sometimes they are purchased.
Software for teachers: Teachers need some software as teaching aids. These include animated videos or virtual labs, pictures etc for demonstration of topics in science, geography and also lab experiments.
The teacher software are many like lesson planner, grade keeper etc. For a detail list read the article .
These software are sometimes freely available on the net or supplied along with the text books purchased or else individually in the market. Many schools and colleges maintain a collection of these software in the form of Dvd’s etc. Further other equipment like overhead projector, an interactive board are required.
Language learning software: These are software to learn languages like English, French, Spanish etc provided by few websites.
Higher education software: This includes a large set of software useful to students and also teachers. They are of different types based on the need or purpose. They include
1. Picture or image software: As the name indicate these are software to make pictures or image of interest. These include Microsoft paint, Adobe Photoshop etc. They are needed to make diagrams for representation of novel ideas in science for presentation in science exhibitions, poster presentations, seminars etc. These software require some practice to use for the newbie but they are easy to learn.
2. Analytic software: These are a set of software meant especially to analyse complex data of research of any type in science, social, management studies etc. They include mostly statistical software ex; graph pad prism, SPSS etc.
3. Design software: Design software are those used design molecules of chemistry or in architecture to predetermine the effectiveness and feasibility of the drug molecule or the structure under plan construct.
In medicinal chemistry CAD (computer aided drug design) software is widely used to analyse the drug molecule to see if it fits properly into receptor for effective therapeutic action or else if stereo configuration is right or else the chances of toxic effects etc.
In architecture though the software are used to estimate the strength, durability of the structure under plan construct.
Thus these software used in Post graduate or research levels help minimize wastage of time and cost in making physical molecules or structures by determining their effectiveness virtually in computer.
4. Presentation software: These are software meant for presentation of concepts to a large group of audience using projector. They are mostly free software like Microsoft power point.
5. Data synchronising software: These are software which maintain similar data between to two sets of computers through a memory device (hard drive) like one in office and one at home. These software help maintain similarity in data so as to safe guard even in times of damage of one system. Thus one’s data is never lost.
Higher education software are very useful for students for better performance to face competition from colleagues.